3 Life Events That Affect your Taxes

3 Life Events That Affect your Taxes

3 Life Events That Affect your Taxes. Picture of couple holding an ultrasound, while the man kisses the forehead of the women, taken by Kelly Sikkema.

Life happens, so you need to be prepared for how major changes will affect both your well-being and your bottom line. A new child, divorce, or a move can affect your taxes in some pretty big ways. The following tips will help you better prepare for these big life events when it comes to filing your taxes.


When you file your taxes following the birth of a child, you’ll need to claim your little one as a dependent. If you don’t, you can be fined up to $50 and your refund may be delayed until things are straightened out. When you apply for a birth certificate, you’ll also need to request a Social Security card. If you don’t do this when your child is born, you’ll need to file Form SS-5 with the Social Security Administration (SSA). When you file, be ready to provide the necessary information proving your child’s U.S. citizenship and date of birth.


If you change your name after a divorce, you need to notify the SSA. If you neglect to do so, there may be issues processing your tax return, which can cause your refund to be delayed. All you need to do to change your name is file Form SS-5 at your local SSA office and provide the necessary documentation proving your name change. You can find Form SS-5 on the SSA’s website at www.SSA.Gov/Forms, or you can request it at your neighborhood SSA office. After filing the form, you will receive a new Social Security card, which will have your new name but retain your original Social Security number. For more information, call the SSA at (800) 772-1213.


If your home or business address has changed, this can also affect your taxes. You can use IRS Form 8822 to notify the IRS of changes to your home mailing address. Changing both your home and business addresses? You should also file Form 8822-B to change your business address.

Again, life happens. But no matter what, we’re here for you. If you have any IRS questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out. Call us at (949) 260-4770 or help@landmarktaxgroup.com.

Social Shares

Related Articles


These days there are so many filing options for taxpayers to get their tax returns prepared. With so many options ...

Read More