What are Enrolled Agents? – The Real Tax Superheroes

What are Enrolled Agents? – The Real Tax Superheroes

Enrolled Agents

If you have a tax problem, there are only three kinds of people allowed to help you negotiate with the IRS:

  1. Certified Public Accountants (CPAs)
  2. Tax Attorneys
  3. Enrolled Agents (EAs)

What do they do

You may assume that a lot of people fall into those three categories.  But in fact, your pool of potential superheroes is small. Most CPAs specialize in tax preparation and tax planning — the last thing they want to do is battle the IRS! Similarly, most attorneys also deal with a slew of other legal issues, including traffic accidents, intellectual property disputes, and estate planning. It’s rare to find a lawyer well-trained in tax work.

That leaves EAs like me. I may be a little biased, but I believe we’re the true tax superheroes. EAs are the only tax professionals licensed directly by the IRS. In order to achieve the license, you either need to work for the IRS or pass a challenging three-part test. The license also predates the CPA license. It dates all the way back to 1884 when congress created it in the aftermath of the Civil War. Pretty interesting, huh?

Enrolled Agents

Being an EA is a big honor and responsibility. Thanks to my eight years working inside the IRS, I have the power to step into the shoe’s taxpayers across the country. I represent them in front of the IRS, and take away all of the stress and worry that comes with that task. It’s a serious job! The IRS calls the EA license an “elite status” with high ethical standards and notes that it’s the “highest credential the IRS awards.” EAs also have “unlimited practice rights” which means we can represent any taxpayer for any tax problem, no matter how big or small.

Many taxpayers assume that they need an attorney to handle their IRS problem. But unless the IRS is suing you (or you want to sue them) then the person you really need is an EA. I’ve been representing clients as an EA for nine years and can help you, too. Call me at (949) 260-4770 today or email me at help@landmarktaxgroup.com to get started.


Social Shares